Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Handiwork - Teaching crocheting

I'll be honest, I have neglected to focus on any handiwork diligently for the first 2 terms and so I find myself not having accomplished anything in this area for our 3rd term!
I had hoped to have Ali and Tom proficient in at least 1 area of handiwork by now, but there is no time like the present.
I have decided that crocheting is a good place to start, mostly because I'm still not a very accomplished knitter and because I have tons of yarn and crochet hooks.
Also I found these adorable patterns on Lion Brand yarn's website which I think will be a great motivation once they learn the basics of crochet. (you will need to register with this site to access the patterns)









I did a quick google search and came across this great website for teaching children how to crochet. This gives me a great starting point and their instructions are very user friendly and geared toward children.
So coming this next week I will be starting with the Slip knot and Chain stitch.
If you would like some pictures to show your kids or to help out you can find them at these sites:




And no post here would be quite complete without directing our thoughts back to Charlotte's ideas and thoughts on the subject of Handicrafts.




"The points to be borne in mind in children's handicrafts are: (a) that they should not be employed in making futilities such as pea and stick work, paper mats, and the like; (b) that they should be taught slowly and carefully what they are to do; (c) that slipshod work should not allowed; (d) and that, therefore, the children's work should be kept well within their compass."

CM Vol. 1, pg. 315-316





No comments:

Post a Comment